Sunday 6 June 2010

A widow in dire need

Sunday 6 June 2010

Reading Galatians 1.11-24

I want you to know, brothers, that the gospel I preached is not something that man made up. I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ.

For you have heard of my previous way of life in Judaism, how intensely I persecuted the church of God and tried to destroy it. I was advancing in Judaism beyond many Jews of my own age and was extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers. But when God, who set me apart from birth and called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not consult any man, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went immediately into Arabia and later returned to Damascus.

Then after three years, I went up to Jerusalem to get acquainted with Peter and stayed with him fifteen days. I saw none of the other apostles – only James, the Lord’s brother. I assure you before God that what I am writing to you is no lie. Later I went to Syria and Cilicia. I was personally unknown to the churches of Judea that are in Christ. They only heard the report: “The man who formerly persecuted us is now preaching the faith he once tried to destroy.” And they praised God because of me.

Gospel Luke 7.11-17

Jesus went to a town called Nain, and his disciples and a large crowd went along with him. As he approached the town gate, a dead person was being carried out – the only son of his mother, and she was a widow. And a large crowd from the town was with her. When the Lord saw her, his heart went out to her and he said, “Don’t cry.”

Then he went up and touched the coffin, and those carrying it stood still. He said, “Young man, I say to you, get up!” The dead man sat up and began to talk, and Jesus gave him back to his mother.

They were all filled with awe and praised God. “A great prophet has appeared among us,” they said. “God has come to help his people.” This news about Jesus spread throughout Judea and the surrounding country.

Sermon

During campaign – parties set out policies. What they would do and why. Period after general election. Briefings. Choosing cabinet and ministers. Conveying vision for next 4 years.

Luke introduces Jesus – family - infancy. John the Baptist campaigns. Jesus tempted.

Sermon on the Plain – Jesus sets out policies – or better, he announced inauguration of God’s reign. Blessings and woes. Love for enemies. Not judging others. Judging people by fruits. Building on rock not sand.

Public ministry – begins at chapter 7. Before, Jesus says. Now he does. Capernaum by Sea of Galilee. Sets up base away from Nazareth where Jesus rejects his family who initially disapprove, and his people rejected him.

Public statement of intent – manifesto. Synagogue at Nazareth – Jesus quotes Isaiah:
18 "The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,
19 to proclaim the year of the Lord's favour."

Jesus not the only prophet rejected. Elijah also rejected, he says. Severe famine. Many starved – Elijah sent to save non-Jewish widow. Naaman – Syrian general cured of leprosy through Elisha. Both turned to Gentiles – Jesus would eventually do so too.

Message - God’s love for all creatures. Chapter 7 begins with 2 miracle stories. Centurion’s servant – parallel to Naaman. Raising of widow’s son – parallel to Zarephath. It is through God’s love for all creatures that he reaches out to save. ‘Heal’ or ‘save’ – same word in Gk – sozo.

Capernaum – strong Roman presence. Jesus heals slave of foreign occupying legionary officer. Official – like Naaman. He is not in need – can get many other slaves – still Jesus reached out. Turned weeping into joy.

Comparison – widow losing sole means of support – tragedy. Dire consequences. Judaism – care for widows mandated by Law. 13 When the Lord saw her, his heart went out to her and he said, “Don't cry.” First use of ‘Lord’ in Luke.

God’s reign – action of Jesus establishes his credibility and identity. Speaks volumes about coming Kingdom.

· Weeping turned into laughing.

· Jesus empowered to act as only God can.

· Poor receive the Kingdom

· Do good to enemies – show mercy and love

· God’s healing and salvation – indiscriminate – no requirement for faith here

These are representative of Jesus’s power and credibility. People who witness miracle attest to his identity – their reaction: 16 They were all filled with awe and praised God. “A great prophet has appeared among us,” they said. “God has come to help his people.”

These two stories – not just miracles but offer powerful messages about Kingdom. Yet if we look for a lesson we can take from them, need to be treated with care. God reaches out to woman in dire and critical need. Not surprising Jesus moved to compassion. Who would not be?

The reality of widows at the time was life-threatening at worst, miserable most of the time. A concern for assisting widows throughout the Bible stems from their dire need. So God reached out.

But not every widow is helped. What about all those in terrible need today? On our streets. In continent of Africa? Suffering from want, disease, oppression?

In these stories, Jesus ‘sees’ the widow. He ‘sees’ her need and acts. Jesus – God incarnate – is no longer ‘walking about among us.’ The coming Kingdom will bring joy where there was weeping, but in the meantime we are God’s hand, feet and eyes to act as Jesus did. To ‘see’ those in want and need. To reach out and act.

More than just miracle stories, this is one of the lessons to be learned. There may be many others, but one will do for now. Isn’t this what Paul is getting at, in our reading from Galatians? God, he says ‘set me apart from birth and called me by his grace, and was pleased to reveal his Son in me’

Can we say the same? That God is pleased to reveal his Son in me? And in return, are we pleased to be God’s hands and feet? His eyes? His voice? Only by being so can we claim, as Paul did, that God is pleased to reveal his Son in me. Amen

No comments: