Friday 25 July 2008

Getting to know people

Two weeks in the village and a week at the church. Getting to know people quickly. Not good at names, but doing my best to remember as many as I can. It's hard to walk around the village - takes so long as I stop and talk to people I meet. Some stop me to chat, and others who have little to do with the church want to ask questions or talk about issues in their lives.

Village life is very different from London, where few people greet strangers and even those who do are regarded with suspicion. Here everyone greets everyone else, and a clerical shirt means most people smile or wave.

There are callers at the Rectory but not many. Mostly I am left in peace, but every day there are events for all ages and I have made a point of joining in. Pram service for the mums and babes. Then on to a coffee and games morning for the elderly. Last weekend a murder mystery dinner. Fetes and village fairs all around. Dinner invitations. Baptisms. Confirmation candidates. Lots of kids everywhere especially during the day. It will probably be quieter during the holidays, and the church services will move from village to village as we combine and I get to see the other places in the cluster and meet more people.

No comments: