Thursday 7 June 2012

Thanksgiving for Holy Communion

Thursday 7 June 2012 – Corpus Christi at St Giles

Reading 1 Corinthians 11.23-26

I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.

Gospel John 6.51-58

Alleluia, alleluia.
I am the living bread that came down from heaven, says the Lord.
Whoever eats of this bread will live for ever. John 6.51
Alleluia.

When the Gospel is announced the reader says

Hear the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to N.
All Glory to you, O Lord.

Jesus said: “I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live for ever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”

Then the Jews began to argue sharply among themselves, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?”

Jesus said to them, “I tell you the truth, unless you can eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him. Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your forefathers ate manna and died, but he who feeds on this bread will live for ever.”

This is the Gospel of the Lord.
All Praise to you, O Christ.

Sermon

Corpus Christi means body of Christ. Feast on Thursday after Trinity. Like Trinity, does not celebrate any particular event, but in our church is now known as Day of Thanksgiving for Holy Communion.

Institution of Eucharist celebrated on Maundy Thursday. This is actual event. Last Supper. Washing of Feet. New commandment that you love one another as I have loved you. So today, the feast day focuses solely on Communion without other events.

Holy Communion – what is happening – how we regard it in our worship – differs markedly for everyone. For some, it is a regular rehearsing of the last hours of Jesus’ life on earth, according to his command Do this in remembrance of me. For others it has a much more sacramental significance. For all, the Eucharist stands at the centre of our worship. It is regular, unlike for example Baptism which is a single event.

So the first reason for regular Communion is that Jesus told us to observe it. We are remembering Jesus, and all he did for us in his life, death and resurrection. At the same time, we take the opportunity of examining ourselves, making sure we are right with God and our neighbours before approaching and sharing in the meal.

The names we use vary according to our tradition – Eucharist, Lord’s Supper, Holy Communion, Mass – but in this church most commonly the word communion reminds us we are participating in the body of Christ, which is the church and all Christian people. His life becomes our life. There is one loaf that is broken for us, but although we are many we are one because we all share the one bread and the one cup.

Lastly, communion is a statement of faith. We are proclaiming the Lord’s death until he comes again. So this is what is going on as we prepare ourselves for the Eucharist and approach the altar. Each week afresh, despite the risk of staleness through familiarity. Listening anew to the words, and not just allowing the language to wash over us, but to retain its significance and meaning in our lives. Amen

No comments: