Sunday 6 May 2012

True Vine

Cheddington Easter 5 May 6th 2012

Gospel John 15.1-8

Alleluia, alleluia.
I am the first and the last, says the Lord, and the living one;
I was dead, and behold I am alive for evermore.
All Alleluia.

When the Gospel is announced the reader says

Hear the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to N.
All Glory to you, O Lord.

Jesus said: “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.”

This is the Gospel of the Lord.
All Praise to you, O Christ.

Sermon

Last year Wine Soc. Ribera del Duero – banks of Duero river – flows through Spain to Portugal. Mysterious process winemaking. So many variables. Weather. Disease. Soil type. Viniculture. Barrels. Temperature. Etc.

Jesus uses I AM imagery throughout John. I AM does not refer to God. Examples:

· Bread of Life (John 6:35)

· Light of the World (John 8:12)

· Door of the Sheep (John 10:7)

· Resurrection and Life (John 11:25)

Now, later in chapter 15 I AM the True Vine. Why ‘true’ referring to vine? [Leave to ponder]. Chapters 14-16 come from Jesus’ familiar address to disciples prior to Passion.

Promise we/they are not abandoned or left alone – often used at funerals – many mansions – I go to prepare a place for you. Give great comfort when interpreted as personal promises from Jesus in our time of distress. Yet image of Vine as much about community of faith as it is about individuals linked to Jesus.

The promise is also in the here and now – as well as about our future in heaven. Fullness of life on earth. Here and now. Life in the Spirit.

Light has come into the world (John 3:19) – not will but has – we are bathed in light here and now. I have come that you may have life, and have it to the full. (John 10:10). The presence of the risen Lord is here among us.

Image of Vine not a new one – used in OT – God’s people=his vineyard. Psalm 80: You transplanted a vine from Egypt. It took root and filled the land. Isaiah 5 Song of the Vineyard. Similar imagery – but the True Vine not about Vineyard or entire people but Jesus as the Vine, and us as the branches.

Command is to Abide in Me – this does not just mean remaining in contact with the rootstock or gaining nourishment from it.

Abiding = believing. Word believe never used as verb in John. Believing and abiding – sharing reality of life in Christ – being fully integrated part of it – not just appendage – cannot join then move off – cannot lose contact with vine and remain alive.

Promise of abundant life here and now. Jesus says I will come back and take you to myself – not just transporting us to live near him in ‘dwelling places’ but sharing intimate joined-up relationship – one plant sharing the same tree – same sap flowing through us as everyone else and Jesus himself.

Jesus cannot be kept at a distance. Branches have no separate existence of their own. If we so wish, our link to Christ is lasting and permanent.

What happens when we are joined?

· Bearing fruit – not a command by stern taskmaster – not even something we must do – happens naturally if we remain part of the true vine – all branches bear similar fruit – we cannot do better through our own skills or gifts

· If we are detached – we wither and die. Or if diseased we are cut away. Vine must be protected from corruption or all will die or fruit will be thin.

· We cannot just go our own way – branches must be pruned and cut back – painful – if they are disciplined and can flourish.

· Must be cleansed if diseased

· Branches must be trained – cannot trail around or are damaged or ripped away. Need to face right direction.

· Have no life of our own – but enjoy the abundance of life in Jesus.

Call to bear fruit – not made by disciplinarian but loving, tending, nurturing vine dresser. Not someone who hacks, but identifies what is best for us and gently trains us in the way that we should go to bear best fruit.

We are invited to pray to God as Our Father (not My Father). Such familiar address implies abiding relationship that will last. Vines in Ribera del Duero hundreds of years old. Deep roots many metres down.

Integrity of True Vine held together by One who was lifted up on cross for our redemption. Those who abide in Him abide in the Father. The test will be the fruit we bear. That faithful production of fruit for the world, not of our own volition, not of our own action, skills or works but because we are the True Vine ourselves – an integral part of the tree, in service to God and to the world. Amen

No comments: