Tuesday 22 February 2011

Ruth and Naomi

All-Age Service at St Giles

Sunday 20 February 2011

A Playlet for the Children

The Story of Ruth

Narrator The story I am about to tell you took place almost 3,000 years ago. A certain man named Elimelech lived in Bethlehem. You remember Bethlehem don’t you? It was the same place where Jesus was born. We’ll call him Eli.

Eli The girl I married was called Naomi. Together we had two sons. We were very proud of them. They were good boys. They worked hard and did well.

Naomi My husband Eli and I had no daughters, so I did all the work in the home. When my boys were still teenagers, all our crops failed. There had been no rain for ages. Everyone was starving. We couldn’t stay in Bethlehem, so Eli suggested we should move to another country where we could buy food to eat, and where there was work.

Eli Me and my two boys went with Naomi to Moab. At first everything worked out fine. Both my boys got married to local girls. One was called Orpah. The other was called Ruth. They were lovely girls, and we made a happy family together.

Narrator Then tragedy struck. First Eli got sick. Then he died.

Eli (Eli falls down and dies)

Narrator Then Naomi’s two sons also became sick and died.

(Eli’s two sons both fall down and die)

Naomi So I was left on my own with my two daughters-in-law. What was I to do?

Narrator In those days, there was no income support, no social security, no benefits. When her money ran out, Naomi and the girls would starve. So she decided to return home to Judah, where she had family who might help her.

Naomi (addresses Orpah and Ruth) My daughters. We have no food. Our money has run out. What can we do? We have no alternative but to beg food from our families, or we will end up on the streets. I will travel alone home to Bethlehem. Maybe some relatives will help. You girls must return to your fathers, and ask them to take you back. May God have mercy on you, my daughters!

Narrator Naomi’s daughters wept and clung to their mother. (Orphah and Ruth are in tears). They did not want to leave her. But Naomi said

Naomi You must stay. My family may not take even me into their homes. They certainly won’t have pity on you too. Besides, maybe you can find husbands from your own people. It’s too late for me. I am too old. But you are both young. You can marry again and have children. So stay here, and God be with you!

Narrator So Orphan kissed her mother, and went back to her father’s house. But Ruth would not leave her.

Ruth Mother, do not make me leave you. (Ruth and Naomi and crying and in each other’s arms) Where you go, I will go. Where you stay, I will stay. Your people will be my people. Your God will be my God. Where you die, I will die. And where you are buried, I will also be buried.

Narrator So Naomi and Ruth take the long and dangerous journey together, back to Bethlehem. They arrive exhausted, having walked all the way and slept in the open, with nothing to eat and no roof over their heads.

Naomi The famine here has ended. Look at the fields. The barley is ready to harvest. See these fields? (points to the fields) This land belongs to a relative of mine. His name is Boaz. He is a rich man.

Ruth Let me go into the field tomorrow. I will walk behind the reapers. I will ask them for permission to pick up any grains of barley that and left on the ground after they have cut and stacked the stalks. That will give us a little food to grind into flour and make bread.

Narrator Next day, Boaz came to check on the harvest and he spotted Ruth picking up grains from the ground.

Boaz Who is that young woman, and what is she doing here in my field?

Narrator The workers said to Boaz

Harvester “Her name is Ruth. She was the girl who returned from Moab with your kinswoman Naomi. She has been working here since first light. She has taken no rest, even for a moment, but has carried on working in the heat of the sun all day.

Narrator Boaz went to speak to Ruth and said to her

Boaz Listen, my daughter. Do not be afraid. You can work in my fields. Don’t go onto anyone else’s land. You can carry on picking up grain here. No one with bother you. And if you get thirsty, go and drink from the water provided.

Ruth (kneeling down at Boaz’s feet) My lord, why are you doing this? I am only a foreigner.

Narrator Then Boaz said

Boaz I have heard how you would not leave your mother. How you left your family and your country to remain with her. You have come to a people you do not know. God will reward you for what you have done!

Narrator Then Boaz told his workers to drop more grain deliberately for Ruth, so that she would have enough to collect.

Harvester It’s time for lunch! Today we have bread and wine. Look – our master Boaz has invited Ruth to join him for his meal. How amazing is that?

Boaz Ruth – have this morsel of bread. I have dipped it in wine. And some roasted barley. Eat your fill.

Ruth May God bless you, for you have spoken kindly to me. May you be richly rewarded by the Lord, because you have taken care of me.

Naomi Look – it’s Ruth coming home after her day in the fields. She seems to be struggling! Goodness – she’s carrying a large bag of barley. How is that possible, my daughter?

Ruth Mother! You’ll never believe what happened to me today. Our kinsman Boaz spoke kindly to me and offered me lunch. He allowed me to pick up grain even among the workers, and told them not to chase me away. He treated me like his own servant girls, and told me not to go into anyone else’s fields but to come back tomorrow and gather more grain. Here’s this big bag I have gathered for us today. Mother – we can now bake some bread and not starve!

Narrator Time went by, and Ruth continued to work in the fields. At the end of the harvest, Naomi said to her

Naomi My daughter. The harvest is coming to an end, and it’s time I found a proper home for you, rather than staying with me. Maybe Boaz our friend and kinsman will be able to help? Tonight there will be a party. The workers will be celebrating a successful harvest. Why don’t you go along? Make yourself look gorgeous. Put on your best clothes. Wash and put on some perfume. Then when Boaz finishes eating, see where he lies down. Then when he is asleep, go and uncover his feet!

Ruth Wow! OK mother – you know best. I will do as you say.

Everyone That was some party!

Harvester We are really tired. Time to fall asleep. (Boaz and Harvester lie down)

Ruth Here’s Boaz. I will uncover his feet, and lie down with him.

Boaz (after a short pause) My feet are cold! (looks around and rubs his eyes) Look! A young woman lying down beside me. Who can this be?

Ruth It’s me, Ruth. Spread your blanket over me too. We can keep warm together

Boaz This kindness is greater than you showed to your mother. Don’t be afraid. I will look after you. Everyone knows you have a good reputation. You have not run after the young men. So stay here with me tonight, and in the morning I will see what I can do for you.

Narrator Next morning, Boaz got up early and made sure Ruth left whilst everyone else was still asleep. Then he poured 6 measures of barley into her shawl and put it on her. Then he sent her home.

Naomi How did it go, my daughter?

Ruth Look! Boaz sent me home with all this barley. He was kind to me, and said he would let me know what he will do for me.

Naomi Wait in patience, my daughter. He will not delay, but will settle something for us today.

Narrator Boaz went to meet the elders of the town. They sat in the gateway out of the sun, and Boaz spoke to them about finding the most suitable young man as a husband for Ruth.

Boaz I thought I should come and speak to you all about my kinsman Ruth, who came back from Moab with her mother-in-law Naomi. Unfortunately, Naomi and Ruth are very poor. She has no dowry, so it may be hard for her to find a husband. But as she is my relative, I myself will provide some money.

Elder Times are hard, what will the credit crunch and all. No one can afford to buy houses. Jobs are scarce. The young men will not want to lose face by taking money from you.

Boaz That’s true. Well, with your permission, this is what I suggest. I will buy the fields and property that belonged to Eli from Naomi, and with that money she can provide Ruth with a dowry. And if no suitable young man can be found, I will marry Ruth myself!

Elder That is a right and proper suggestion you have made

Narrator So Boaz took off his sandal, as a sign he had bought the property, and the sale was recorded in the town register office. Then the elders said

Elder We are witnesses to the sale.

Boaz (to Ruth) This is what I have arranged. If I can find a young man for you, you can marry him with the money. If not – I will marry you myself – if you will have me?

Ruth Oh yes!

Narrator Then Ruth and Boaz were married, and there was a great celebration. Soon Ruth became pregnant and she had a baby boy. His name was Obed, and Naomi loved to have the baby in her lap and care for him.

Narrator Many years later, when Obed himself grew up and got married, Obed had a son whose name was Jesse. And Jesse was the father of King David. Jesus was of the line of David, so you see, God works in mysterious ways.

I wonder what you think of this story? I wonder whether you think Ruth did the right thing, by staying with her mother-in-law Naomi? I wonder if you think she should have married Boaz, or found someone younger? I wonder where you think God was in this story?

While you think about all this, this is where my story ends.

© Copyright 2011 Robert wright

No comments: