Sunday 25 April 2010

Easter 4 – Sunday 25 April

Who are we?

Reading Revelation 7.9-17

I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no-one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. And they cried out in a loud voice:

“Salvation belongs to our God,
who sits on the throne,
and to the Lamb.”
All the angels were standing round the throne and around the elders and the four living creatures. They fell down on their faces before the throne and worshipped God, saying:

“Amen!
Praise and glory
and wisdom and thanks and honour
and power and strength
be to our God forever and ever.
Amen!”

Then one of the elders asked me, “These in white robes – who are they, and where did they come from?”

I answered, “Sir, you know.”

And he said, “These are they who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. Therefore,

“they are before the throne of God
and serve him day and night in his temple;
and he who sits on the throne will spread his tent over them.
Never again will they hunger;
never again will they thirst.
The sun will not beat upon them,
nor any scorching heat.
For the Lamb at the centre of the throne will be their shepherd;
he will lead them to springs of living water.
And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.”

Gospel John 10.22-30

The time came for the Feast of Dedication at Jerusalem. It was winter, and Jesus was in the temple area walking in Solomon’s Colonnade. The Jews gathered round him, saying, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.”

Jesus answered, “I did tell you, but you do not believe. The miracles I do in my Father’s name speak for me, but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no-one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no-one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.”

Sermon

Revelation series Year C – first week Who is God? – Alpha and Omega – before time began and after it ends – same as OT

Last week – Who is Jesus? – God incarnate – worthy of all praise – Lamb who was sacrificed – abundant provider – judge of all things

Today’s gospel links the two – Feast of Dedication – everyone had been asking who Jesus was? – now they wanted definitive answer.

Disciples called him Rabbi, Messiah
Nicodemus – teacher who has come from God
Nathaniel – Son of God – King of Israel
Woman at well – prophet – rest of village Saviour of the World
Authorities dismiss him as Jesus son of Joseph whose father and mother we know or suggest demon possessed
Crowds conflict – sometimes good man or deceiver or Messiah

Debate continues to this way. We are continually asked same question as Peter – who do you say I am? IN modern secular world – understanding of who Jesus is no longer taken for granted – is God of Christians and of Jews same God as God of Islam? – how does Jesus figure in all that? – we are called upon to witness to what we believe is truth – but as Pilate observed What is Truth?

John the Evangelist paints his own picture – If you are the Christ, tell us plainly the Jews ask. Jesus replies “I have told you but you would not believe.” Why? Because you have to be of his sheep to hear his voice. Those who demand an answer were not of his sheep. Those in the fold are given to Jesus by the Father – they hear his voice – they will not perish but are given eternal life.

To those in the sheep fold, Jesus adds: I and the Father are One. Is this not the real answer to the question about the One God posed by Islam?

To those outside the fold, Jesus gave another answer. Look at what I do. See my works. Listen to m y words. Observe the signs and miracles. They can only be done in the Father’s name. If nothing else, what I do speaks for me.

Is this something we can say, in our daily witness to the Truth? Whatever you think of my words, if they don’t speak to your heart then observe my deeds. They way I live. My aim always and increasingly to do as Christ would do. No longer ‘Watch my Lips’ – but watch my life! How do you rate? How do I? Hard isn’t it?

Jesus is the Good Shepherd and we are his sheep . In today’s passage from Revelation he is the Lamb who was sacrificed and will become their shepherd. Whose shepherd? Well, ours of course – that is our hope.

Having asked questions Who is God and Who is Jesus this week we focus on – who are we? Passage all about us. John the Seer says:

I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no-one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb.

Just before this picture – 6th seal broken. Physical foundations of creation are shaken. Destruction reaches such a pitch that all people hide. Suffering and destruction overwhelming. Church on earth joins with God’s army in his battle with the powers of evil. It is the church militant here on earth as BCP says .

Fight that will be won. God will have the victory. There will be much tribulation – but the vast number of people from every race, colour and creed is the church triumphant – this is the vision given to John the Seer as an interlude amidst all the destruction.

To that number – so big no one can count it – are given white robes. Bizarre picture of washing robes in blood to make them white. Putting on garments in Scripture – sign of status – Prodigal Son – coat of many colours – seamless garment of Christ. White robes a sign of purity – but also status as the elect who have come though persecution and destruction and joined the host of heaven.

In all their troubles, they can trust in God. He pitches his tent over them. Protects from sun and wind. Gives hospitality. Will shelter them. Picture of comfort in a dry, arid land translated to a picture of paradise.

Final verse: “And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.” With this promise ringing in their ears, the early church faces trial and persecution and martyrdom. The 7th seal is opened, signalling next cycle of end-time woes.

And we ask ourselves same question as that posed to the early believers. Who is able to stand? Answer is: Those whom the Lamb has washed. With those words of encouragement, this persecuted minority—the first-century church—is able to move ahead, because they know where God is taking them.

And today's believers know the same.

Amen

No comments: